The Vatican spokesman has denied a German newspaper report that Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, retired Vatican secretary of state, was under criminal investigation for misappropriating funds from the so-called Vatican bank.
Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi said a statement issued on Tuesday: “No investigation of a criminal nature is being conducted by the Vatican magistrate involving Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone,”
The German newspaper Bild had published a report the day before claiming an investigation had been launched into a €15million (about £12 million) loss resulting from an arrangement with Lux Vide, an Italian producer of television programs and films, mostly of a religious nature.
At the time the arrangement was made, Cardinal Bertone was president of the cardinals’ commission overseeing the Institute for the Works of Religion, commonly called the Vatican bank. In mid-January, Pope Francis replaced Cardinal Bertone and another three of the five cardinals on the commission.
Speaking to several Italian media outlets, Cardinal Bertone denied the Bild report and said the agreement the institute made with Lux Vide “was discussed and approved” by the bank’s commission of cardinals and its board of supervisors in December.
When Rene Brulhart, director of the Vatican Financial Intelligence Authority, presented his office’s report for 2013 to the press last week, a Bild reporter asked whether an investigation had been launched into Cardinal Bertone’s role in the affair. Mr Brulhart refused to “confirm or deny” the existence of an investigation and insisted he would answer no questions about specific financial transactions in the Vatican.
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund