Australian police created a taskforce targeting Cardinal George Pell a year before any formal allegations had been made, a court heard on Wednesday.
In a hearing to decide whether the cardinal will stand trial, defence barrister Robert Richter QC said police started the operation in 2013 but failed to find accusers until a year later. When police did identify accusers, they then failed to follow normal procedures in seeking corroboration, he added.
“When [Operation] Tethering started it was an operation looking for a crime because no crime had been reported,” Richter said.
Richter asked Detective Superintendent Paul Sheridan whether the taskforce, known as Operation Tethering, was specific to Cardinal Pell. “That’s my understanding,” he responded, adding later that it was “commenced as an intel probe into what offences might have occurred”.
The investigation became an “operation” in April 2015 based on allegations of “inappropriate behaviour” but without allegations of criminal conduct, Richter added.
“It’s an operation launched without any victims,” he added. “That’s astonishing in a serious investigation of a very, very high profile suspect.”
Richter also asked Detective Superintendent Sheridan why officers did not choose to pursue more serious allegations made by some of the complainants against a teacher and a nun.
“They are supposed to look at serious sex offences … and they did absolutely nothing about the serious allegations that [two complainants] convey,” Richter said.
Sheridan rejected this, saying there could be a viable explanation, but said he did not know why police did not pursue them.
Richter also claimed that Magistrate Bellinda Wallington should disqualify herself from presiding over the hearing, claiming she had a “biased view of the evidence”. She refused the application.
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund