Kuridsh forces have said that they have made a major breakthrough in their battle to end ISIS’s seige of Mount Sinjar where thousands of Yazidis and other displaced Iraqis have been trapped since August.
Kurdish forces are claiming that the breakthrough is their biggest victory yet against Islamic State.
A spokesman for the Pentagon has also said that US air strikes have killed several high-ranking military leaders of ISIS in Iraq.
The Kurdish offensive against ISIS began early on Wednesday with an intensive round of air strikes by US and coalition forces – 45 in total.
The military operation on the ground involved 8,000 Kurdish fighters launching a two-pronged attack which they say has opened up a wide corridor for escape.
A statement from the Kurdish command said that they expect an evacuation operation to begin today. They also said that eight villages had been recaptured with about 80 militants killed in the process.
The city of Mosul still remains under ISIS’s control along with the the town of Sinjar south of the mountain and the town of Tal Afar.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.