As protests in Venezuela continued the country’s Catholic leaders have urged dialogue and respect for the demonstrators’ human rights.
“We have called for the social and political leaders to engage in deep, sincere dialogue” to address the country’s serious problems, including high rates of violent crime and economic difficulties that have caused a scarcity of some basic consumer goods, Caracas Auxiliary Bishop Jesus Gonzalez de Zarate, secretary-general of the Venezuelan bishops’ conference, told Catholic News Service (CNS) in a telephone interview.
In a statement issued on Monday the bishops’ justice and peace commission and other human rights organisations called for “urgent action to help guarantee human rights, justice and peace in Venezuela”.
Nearly two weeks of demonstrations by opponents and supporters of the government of President Nicolas Maduro left at least six people confirmed dead, according to the commission, although government officials put the toll at 13.
More than 530 people were arrested, according to the statement provided to CNS by Janeth Marquez, who heads the Church’s social ministry office in Caracas, Venezuela. Government officials said most of those arrested had been released. One of the detainees was Leopoldo Lopez, one of the more radical opposition leaders, who turned himself in on February 18 after government officials accused him of inciting violence and ordered him to be arrested.
Eighteen cases of torture and one rape also have been reported, according to the human rights groups’ statement. The groups expressed concern about paramilitary groups allegedly aligned with the government, which have clashed with protesters, as well as about threats against and attacks on journalists and human rights defenders.
The justice and peace commission and other groups called for “the national and international community to question the human rights violations, demand action for an independent investigation, ask for an end to the crackdown and promote genuine dialogue.”
Opposition leader Henrique Capriles, who lost the 2013 presidential election to Maduro, had said he would talk with Maduro at a meeting of government officials on Monday but later decided to miss the meeting.
He has suggested that the Church serve as mediator in talks between the government and the opposition. Bishop Gonzalez de Zarate said Church leaders were open to the idea and that they had met on February 13 and 14 with student leaders from both sides.
Nevertheless, the bishop said, both sides would have to have an “authentic willingness to dialogue” and agree on an agenda of issues to be addressed.
Crucial concerns for Venezuelans, which underlie the protests, include the lack of public security, health care, quality education and “a social and political vision of the country,” he said.
The demonstrations began in San Cristobal, capital of the western state of Tachira, in early February, when an attempted rape prompted students to protest the lack of public security. They spread to other parts of the country, including Caracas, and turned violent on Feb. 12, Venezuela’s Youth Day.
San Cristobal, near the Colombian border, remained the scene of some of the fiercest demonstrations and crackdowns on protesters, and a large number of military troops have been sent to the town, Bishop Gonzalez de Zarate said.
On February 14, Bishop Mario del Valle Moronta Rodriguez of San Cristobal urged dialogue and an end to the violence.
“In the name of the Lord Jesus, we call for an end to violence of all kinds — verbal, aggression, crackdowns — and we seek to show that we are ‘people of peace,'” he wrote in a statement. “We deplore the deaths that have occurred during protests in various places in the country, as well as the fact that many people have been injured. We ask that those who have caused these deaths and personal harm accept responsibility and be punished according to the law.”
The bishop also called for “political, social, economic and student leaders to meet and share ideas and opinions in a quest for consensus and a path of peace for all.”
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund