A key Conservative pledge that would have allowed the Catholic Church to open new schools has been left out of the Queen’s Speech.
The party had promised in their manifesto to abolish the “unfair and ineffective” admissions cap that forces new faith schools to recruit only 50 per cent of their intake on the basis of religion.
As canon law says that Catholics must give priority to children from the faith, the regulation effectively prevents the Church from opening new academies and free schools in England and Wales.
Theresa May’s government first promised to remove the cap in September 2016. The party then reiterated the policy in its manifesto for the 2017 General Election.
The manifesto said:
We will replace the unfair and ineffective inclusivity rules that prevent the establishment of new Roman Catholic schools, instead requiring new faith schools to prove that parents of other faiths and none would be prepared to send their children to that school.
However, the Queen’s Speech on Wednesday – setting out the government’s legislative agenda for the next couple of years – did not mention the proposal.
Following the inconclusive election result earlier this month, the government has dropped several policies that featured its manifesto, most notably its controversial social care proposals.
While the absence of the faith schools policy from the Queen’s Speech does not necessarily mean it has been abandoned, it does suggest the issue has moved down the government’s agenda.
When the policy was first announced last year, a source in Downing Street said the cap “prevented new Catholic schools from opening, which are more successful, more popular and more ethnically diverse than other types of state school.”
Responding to the Queen’s Speech, the Catholic Education Service said: “We welcomed the Government’s plan to remove the 50 per cent admissions cap when it was announced by the Prime Minister last September, and we were pleased to see a cast iron commitment to this in the Conservative Party manifesto.”
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund