The German Diocese of Limburg has committed itself to “dialogue and transparency” after a former Vatican nuncio was sent to defuse complaints of extravagance against its bishop.
Cardinal Giovanni Lajolo continued meeting Bishop Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst, cathedral staff, local clergy and religious order representatives last Friday.
A diocesan spokesman acknowledged that media reports about the prelate’s first-class flights and his luxuriously appointed new residence “has led to difficulties among priests and people here”.
“The bishop is aware of their concerns and wants to be in dialogue,” said the spokesman, Stephan Schnelle. “He knows the importance of transparency in appeasing anxieties.”
In an interview with the Catholic News Service, Mr Schnelle said Cardinal Lajolo arrived on September 9 in the diocese in the small western German town to seek a “solution in peace for all parties”, but added that local Catholics were “generally supporting” Bishop Tebartz-van Elst.
The 53-year bishop attracted media attention after his November 2008 appointment for criticising Islam and dismissing a local priest for blessing a same-sex union.
He later was criticised for a costly renovation and other affiliated expenses on a diocesan centre and episcopal residence at a time when other Church properties were being closed in a downsizing move.
In June, Der Spiegel said the complex, whose estimated cost has tripled to nearly $20m (£12.5m, €15m), resembled a “monstrous luxury complex”.
The weekly also charged that the bishop submitted a false affidavit after flying first class on a January 2012 visit to slums in the Indian city of Bangalore. Prosecutors are investigating the financial records of the diocese.
Priests from the Limburg diocese have criticised Bishop Tebartz-van Elst’s leadership in homilies, public statements and, mostly recently, in a petition, signed by 4,400 people presented to him on September 6.
In a statement on its website, the diocese said Bishop Tebartz-van Elst met Cardinal Marc Ouellet, prefect of the Congregation for Bishops, at the Vatican on August 28. The statement said Cardinal Ouellet expressed “every confidence” in the bishop’s guidance of the diocese in a letter dated September 3.
However, the published letter also said recent events had “spoiled the Church’s mission” and threatened “damage” to the bishop’s office.
It added that 78-year-old Cardinal Lajolo, who was nuncio to Germany from 1995 to 2003, would make a “fraternal visit” to Limburg.
In a pastoral letter, Bishop Tebarz-van Elst told Catholics he had been hurt by “resentment and criticism” directed against him and would invite parish representatives to a “personal encounter”.
“I see some of my decisions in a different light today; looking back, I would have gone about some things differently,” said the bishop, who also chairs the marriage and family commission of the German bishops’ conference.
“But I need your trust even more. Where only suspicion and mistrust govern, there can be no living Christian community.”
However, the head of Germany’s neighbouring Mainz diocese, Cardinal Karl Lehmann, told the German press agency DPA that Cardinal Lajolo’s visit was an “alarming signal” that Rome believed the problems could “no longer be solved solely within the Limburg diocese”.
Mr Schnelle told CNS that local people had been misinformed by the media into viewing the new diocesan complex as a “waste of money,” adding that Church leaders expected to begin “finding a way out of the crisis”,
“All sides need to follow the way of transparency together. It’s important to talk about everybody’s cares and needs,” he said.
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund