The bishop of Aberdeen has apologised for the abuse of children by clergy at two Catholic schools in Scotland over a 30-year period.
Bishop Hugh Gilbert expressed his remorse during a homily at a Mass in Fort Augustus, in the Highlands, on Sunday.
He said it was a “most bitter, shaming and distressing thing that… a small number of baptised, consecrated and ordained Christian men physically or sexually abused those in their care.”
The bishop’s comments came just six days after the BBC screened Sins of the Fathers, a programme in which former students accused seven monks of physical and sexual abuse.
The abuse was alleged to have taken place from the 1950s to the 1980s at the Fort Augustus Abbey School, a Benedictine-run boarding school that closed in 1998, and its feeder school, Carlekemp Preparatory School, in East Lothian, Scotland.
Bishop Gilbert, a Benedictine, said he wanted to unite his sentiments with Abbot Richard Yeo, president of the English Benedictine congregation, who had earlier apologised to the victims.
“We are anxious that there be a thorough police investigation into all this and that all that can be done should be done for the victims,” the bishop said. “All of us must surely pray for those who have suffered.”
Bishop Gilbert added that the Scottish church had been increasingly effective in addressing abuse concerns.
“We want to work with all public bodies which care for the young and vulnerable adults,” he said. “We wish to share our experience and share best practice so that lessons can be learned and children can always be fully protected.”
The BBC interviewed more than 50 former students as part of a six-month investigation into alleged abuse at the schools. Five men claimed that they were either raped or sexually abused by one priest, Benedictine Father Aidan Duggan, an Australian who taught at the schools between 1953 and 1974. He died in 2004. Other complaints of abuse relate to men who are still alive.
One victim, Christopher Walls, a former Carlekemp student, said the Scottish church had to atone for the crimes of the priests.
Speaking to the BBC, he said Bishop Gilbert’s apology was “thin,” adding, “Let’s hope that it’s the beginning and not the whole thing.”
He continued: “I have had nearly 60 years of having to deal with this on a daily basis. On a daily basis I’ve had to swallow anger, fear and regret over my lost childhood.”
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund