The Kenyan government declared the country’s drought a national disaster, three days after Catholic bishops requested such an action.
The bishops appealed for food relief earlier this month, in an effort to get help from other countries.
Reliefweb, a specialised digital service of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said in the last year, Kenya’s food insecurity had nearly doubled, so that now 1.25 million people are affected.
The drought has also affected livestock and wildlife in 23 of Kenya’s 47 counties.
On February 10, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta declared the drought a national disaster and said the government had allocated $105 million to fight it.
Observing that all purchases of food and other items would be made in a transparent way, he said he would “not tolerate anybody who would try to take advantage of this situation to defraud public funds.”
The bishops said they were receiving reports from diocesan and parish officials with “tales of suffering, desperation, hopelessness and in some cases, imminent loss of life.”
They said as many as 2.4 million Kenyans were in dire need of food; the Kenyan Red Cross says 2.7 million people face starvation if more help is not provided.
The bishops encouraged contributions through Caritas, the church’s charitable agency.
Most of the countries in East Africa have been badly affected by the drought, which officials say was exacerbated by last year’s El Nino weather phenomenon.
In Somalia, for example, nearly half the population is suffering from food shortages, and the UN says there is a risk of famine in several parts of the country.
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund