President Donald Trump has offered to maintain federal funding for Planned Parenthood if the group stops providing abortions.
Its president spurned the proposal and noted that federal money already is not allowed to be used for abortion.
Trump confirmed Monday there had been discussions after The New York Times inquired about what it described as an informal proposal. In a statement to the newspaper, Trump said polling shows most Americans oppose public funding for abortion.
“As I said throughout the campaign, I am pro-life and I am deeply committed to investing in women’s health and plan to significantly increase federal funding in support of non abortion services such as cancer screenings,” he said.
Trump added: “There is an opportunity for organisations to continue the important work they do in support of women’s health, while not providing abortion services.”
Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards said in response: “We will always stand for women’s ability to make decisions about their health and lives, without interference from politicians in Washington, DC.”
Anti-abortion activists want the federal government to cut off all federal funding to Planned Parenthood.
Nearly $400 million in Medicaid money goes to the group and pulling it back would result in roughly 400,000 women losing access to care, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.
In one of his first acts as president, Trump banned US funding to international groups that perform abortions or even provide information about abortions.
Vice President Mike Pence strongly opposes abortion, citing his Catholic beliefs, and the newly confirmed health secretary, Tom Price, has supported cutting off taxpayer money to Planned Parenthood.
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund