Pope Francis has made an unannounced, “private” visit to a retirement home and a home for people in a persistent vegetative state as part of his personal observance of the Year of Mercy.
The visits to the 33 residents of the Bruno Buozzi Retirement Home and the six residents of Casa Iride in Rome were announced with the hashtag #MercyFriday by the pontifical commission organising the Year of Mercy.
The Vatican previously announced that on one Friday each month during the Holy Year, Pope Francis would personally and privately perform a work of mercy.
The series ended up beginning very publicly on December 18 when he visited and celebrated Mass at a shelter run by the Rome diocesan Caritas.
For the January visit, journalists were not invited or even informed. Even the residents of the two facilities were not told in advance, said a statement issued by the Vatican press office once the pope had returned to the Vatican.
Pope Francis was accompanied by Archbishop Rino Fisichella, who is in charge of the jubilee organising committee. The archbishop’s office tweeted several photos of the Pope’s visit.
The Vatican described the atmosphere at the retirement home as one of “great surprise and joy” as the Pope greeted each resident and stopped to speak to them, one by one.
Both the retirement home and the Casa Iride are located in one of the poorer neighbourhoods on the outskirts of Rome.
The Vatican said Casa Iride is not a hospital or clinic, but is a family-style structure where residents can be cared for by their own family members with the support of the staff.
In choosing the two homes, the Vatican statement said, “Pope Francis wanted to highlight – in opposition to the ‘throwaway culture’ – the great importance and preciousness of the elderly and grandparents as well as the value and dignity of life in every situation.”
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund