Pope Francis has expressed his solidarity with victims of Friday’s terror attacks in Tunisia, France and Kuwait.
In telegrams sent by Cardinal Secretary of State Pietro Parolin, to the governments of the three countries, the pontiff said he was united in prayer with the relatives of the victims.
He prayed, too, for the souls of those who perished in the attacks, and offered his condolences to those who were wounded and to their families, praying that the Lord might give them “comfort and consolation in their trials”.
Pope Francis condemned yet again “the violence which causes so much suffering” and prayed that God “might grant the gift of peace.” He concluded his messages with “divine blessings” for the families of the victims and for the populations of the three countries.
30 Britons are known to have died in Friday’s attack in Sousse, a Tunisian beach resort, with that figure expected to rise, after at least one gunman linked to ISIS opened fire, killing 38 people. Among the dead are three members of the same family, from Wednesbury.
Prime Minister David Cameron has said Britain would show “unshakeable resolve” in the face of the terrorist attacks.
Thirteen people were killed when a suicide bomber attacked a Shia mosque in Kuwait on Friday, while near Lyon, in France, a factory boss, Herve Cornara was beheaded by Yassin Salhi, who had previously been investigated for his alleged links to Islamist militants.
France’s President Francois Hollande said the killing bore “the hallmarks of a terrorist attack”.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.