The presbytery was designed by EW Pugin
Merseyside Police are investigating the vandalization of St. Oswald’s, a church in inner-city Liverpool that had windows smashed and graffiti painted on it on Saturday.
Saint Oswald King and Martyr Catholic Church was vandalized on August 3, the Liverpool Echo reports.
The church and its presbytery had six windows broken, and “beast” written in chalk on the outside, according to the Liverpudlian daily. The area where the windows were damaged have been boarded up.
The damage was reported to police shortly before noon, and the police believe the damage to have been inflicted earlier that morning.
A spokesman for Merseyside Police encouraged everyone to share information with the authorities on the crime or the criminals involved.
The current St. Oswald’s building was built in the 1950s. This replaced a building from the 1840s designed by Augustus Pugin, of which only the west steeple survives.
The presbytery dates to 1847, and was designed by E. W. Pugin.