Drones are to be banned from the airspace over the centre of Rome, during the Year of Mercy as a precaution against ISIS attacks.
In the wake of the Paris attacks, Italian Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said on Monday that drones will be banned from the airspace from December 8, as the Year of Mercy is due to attract millions of tourists to the Italian capital.
Addressing the Italian Parliament, Mr Alfano said that security would be tightened around any potential target, particularly around St Peter’s Square, he said: “Particular attention has been dedicated to the risk of an attack from the air, using drones.”
On Monday, Italy’s civil aviation authority, which had already announced a strengthening of security in the immediate aftermath of Friday’s attacks, said it had ordered airport directors to tighten measures further.
This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.