✣ It’s always good to see a London Underground station being reminded of its roots. There hasn’t been a Dominican priory on the banks of the Thames since 1538, but as the picture above shows, there are still a few Dominicans who haven’t forgotten the connection.
✣ The Vatican’s Secret Archive is being renamed: to avoid confusion, it will now be known as the Vatican Apostolic Archives. Pope Francis pointed |out in his decree that secretum, the original word which was in the name of the archive when it was founded in 1610, originally meant something like “private”. The archives, including 53 miles of shelving and some of the world’s most precious manuscripts, have in fact been open to researchers for some time. The Associated Press, in a helpful reminder of why we need the Catholic media, reported that “It was Pope Leon VIII who in 1881 opened the archive’s doors to researchers.” That would be Pope Leo XIII.