The chaplet calls for the assistance of each of the nine celestial choirs of angels
The Chaplet of St Michael is a great way to honour heaven’s greatest warrior against the devil, along with the nine ranks – or ‘choirs’ – of angels.
The chaplet originates in a private revelation by the Archangel Michael to Portuguese nun Antónia d’Astónaco, approved by Pope Pius IX in 1851. The archangel promised that whoever prayed the chaplet would have his assistance, and the assistance of one angel from each of the celestial choirs, when approaching Holy Communion. Those who recite the chaplet daily will also have the continual assistance of all the angels during their life and after their death. This assistance also applies to their immediate family.
Praying the chaplet
The chaplet may be prayed with a special set of chaplet beads (the structure is different to that of the Rosary), or simply prayed mentally.
Before beginning the chaplet, you should make an Act of Contrition.
Then, to start the chaplet, make the sign of the cross and say the prayer:
“O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me. Glory be…”
There follow nine salutations. After each one, say one Our Father and three Hail Marys.
- By the intercession of St Michael and the celestial Choir of Seraphim may the Lord make us worthy to burn with the fire of perfect charity. Amen
- By the intercession of St Michael and the celestial Choir of Cherubim may the Lord grant us the grace to leave the ways of sin and run in the paths of Christian perfection. Amen
- By the intercession of St Michael and the celestial Choir of Thrones may the Lord infuse into our hearts a true and sincere spirit of humility. Amen
- By the intercession of St Michael and the celestial Choir of Dominations may the Lord give us grace to govern our senses and overcome any unruly passions. Amen
- By the intercession of St Michael and the celestial Choir of Virtues may the Lord preserve us from evil and falling into temptation. Amen
- By the intercession of St Michael and the celestial Choir of Powers may the Lord protect our souls against the snares and temptations of the devil. Amen
- By the intercession of St Michael and the celestial Choir of Principalities may God fill our souls with a true spirit of obedience. Amen
- By the intercession of St Michael and the celestial Choir of Archangels may the Lord give us perseverance in faith and in all good works in order that we may attain the glory of Heaven. Amen
- By the intercession of St. Michael and the celestial Choir of Angels may the Lord grant us to be protected by them in this mortal life and conducted in the life to come to Heaven. Amen
Then say four Our Fathers, one in honour of each of the following angels: St Michael, St Gabriel, St Raphael, our Guardian Angel.
Then conclude with the following prayers:
O glorious prince St Michael, chief and commander of the heavenly hosts, guardian of souls, vanquisher of rebel spirits, servant in the house of the Divine King and our admirable conductor, you who shine with excellence and superhuman virtue deliver us from all evil, who turn to you with confidence and enable us by your gracious protection to serve God more and more faithfully every day.
Pray for us, O glorious St Michael, Prince of the Church of Jesus Christ, that we may be made worthy of His promises.
Let us pray. Almighty and Everlasting God, Who, by a prodigy of goodness and a merciful desire for the salvation of all men, has appointed the most glorious Archangel St Michael Prince of Your Church, make us worthy, we ask You, to be delivered from all our enemies, that none of them may harass us at the hour of death, but that we may be conducted by him into Your Presence. This we ask through the merits of Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen