- Standard entry to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel costs €17 or €24 with an audio guide.
- Tickets can be purchased from the the ticket office, but to beat the queues ‘skip the line’ tickets can be pre-booked at the Vatican Museums website. Booking online costs an extra €4 and will allow visitors to select a time slot for their visit.
- Concessions are available for a range of groups – see ‘Reduced Ticket Prices’ section below for further details.
- For more information, go here.
As well as standard entry, Vatican Museums also offers a range of tours including…
- Guided tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel with exclusive guide
- Early entry to the Museums with breakfast
- Night openings
- Guided tour of the Museums and St. Peter’s Basilica
- Private ‘out of hours’ guided tour
- Vatican Museums and Niccoline Chapel
- Guided tour “Hidden Museums” – Vatican Museums, Niccoline Chapel and Bramante Staircase
- Guided tour of the ‘Hidden Museums’ (Vatican Museums, Niccoline Chapel and Cabinet of the Masks)
- Guided tour of the Vatican Gardens
- Day trips to the Pontifical Gardens of Castel Gandolfo
Reduced ticket prices
Concessions are available for the following groups of people…
- Children (aged between six and 18).
- Individual priests, men and women religious, seminarians and novices (upon presentation of valid documentation).
- Employees and those who have retired from working for the Holy See and/or Vatican City State (upon presentation of identity document).
- Students, schools, pilgrimages and religious colleges are also eligible for concessions.
- Free entry is permitted to children under the age of six.
- Free entry is also permitted on the last Sunday of every month (subject to the Museum’s opening/closing schedule) and on World Tourism Day (September 27).
- For more information, go here and here.
- The address is Viale Vaticano, 00165 Rome
- Metro: Line A direction Battistini, Ottaviano or Cipro stations
- Bus: 49, stop in the square in front of the Vatican Museums, 32, 81, 982, stop at Piazza del Risorgimento, 492, 990, stop in Via Leone IV / Via degli Scipioni
- Tram: 19, stop at Piazza del Risorgimento
- For general information, phone +39 06 69884676/+39 06 69883145 or email
- For help with online booking, email [email protected]
All disabled visitors with ‘certified invalidity of more than 74%’ are eligible for free entry. Visitors who are not self-sufficient also have free entry extended to a companion.
Free tickets for disabled visitors cannot be booked online. They are issued at either the Special Permits or Reception desks in the Vatican Museums entrance hall, upon presentation of a certification of invalidity.
Disabled visitors and companions are guaranteed ‘skip the line‘ entry.
Monday to Saturday: 9am – 6pm. Final entry is at 4pm.
Every last Sunday of the month: 9am to 2pm (provided this does not coincide with Easter Sunday, June 29 or December 25-26). Final entry is at 12.30pm.
Visitors must leave the museum halls 30 minutes before closing time
Throughout the year, the Vatican Museums will be closed on selected days. To check for scheduled closures, go here.
Visitors must be ‘appropriately dressed’. Low cut or sleeveless clothing, shorts, miniskirts and hats are not allowed.
- All luggage, medium to large umbrellas, video cameras and tripods must be left in the cloakroom before entering the museums.
- All visitors must pass through a security check prior to entry.
- It is forbidden to consume food and drink inside the exhibition hall
- It is permitted to take photographs for personal use only, apart from in the Sistine Chapel. Flash photography is strictly forbidden.
- Visitors to the sistine Chapel are requested to observe absolute silence and refrain from using mobile phones.
- For security reasons, there is no wi-fi coverage in the museums.
- A map of the museums can be be downloaded here.
- For further information, go here.