A Catholic religious order has urged international action to stop “uncontrolled lawlessness” in the Central African Republic, after one of its Italian missionaries was threatened with death by rebel soldiers.
The Sacred Heart of Jesus of Betharram order released a statement on Monday which said: “Let us pray that peace may return in this country torn apart by different factions.
“This new act of looting was carried out by rebels from the Seleka movement, who are now uncontrolled and uncontrollable by the authorities. Can we even speak of any authority?”
The statement said rebel soldiers, “armed to the teeth” with Kalashnikov assault rifles, had bound and gagged Father Beniamino Gusmeroli and African Brother Martial Maru during a raid in Setpember on Our Lady of Fatima mission in Bouar.
It added that the soldiers, who appeared to be Sudanese, had threatened to kill the mission doorkeeper and “turned everything upside down,” taking money, computers and “everything of value.”
“This action is a sign of how the situation is deteriorating,” the order added. “No glimmer of change is in sight unless the international community intervenes quickly and firmly.”
The attack is the latest on foreign missionaries by Seleka, composed partly of Arab-speaking Islamists, which suspended the constitution after seizing the capital, Bangui, in March.
Another Italian, Carmelite Father Aurelio Gazzera, told Fides, the agency of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, Sept. 18 he had been slapped and warned he would be shot when he tried to persuade Seleka gunmen to release some captured youths.
The Carmelite said acting President Michel Djotodia’s September decree dissolving Seleka had been “window dressing,” adding that the rebels, estimated at 25,000, intended to stay and “extort as much as possible from a poor population.”
Meanwhile, Spanish-born Bishop Juan Aguirre Munoz of neighboring Bangassou Diocese told Fides the situation had become “explosive,” with the whole population “trapped like in a concentration camp,” adding that local residents, armed with machetes, had begun setting up barricades to stop “constant harassment” by Seleka.
The bishop said he believed the real problem was not “a clash of religion,” adding that he had asked a local imam to help restore peace.
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund