Church officials are pleading for the life of a priest who was kidnapped from his parish residence just one day after two other priests were abducted and killed in another part of Mexico.
The Archdiocese of Morelia said priest Jose Alfredo Lopez Guillen was abducted on Monday from his parish residence in the rural town of Janamuato, in the western state of Michoacan.
The archdiocese said he was kidnapped after he was robbed.
“We plead that the life and physical integrity of the priest be respected,” the archdiocese said.
In a video statement, Cardinal Alberto Suarez Inda, Archbishop of Morelia, said: “After sharing the enormous pain of the death of two young priests in the Diocese of Papantla, Veracruz, we are now suffering our own anguish with the disappearance of one of our priests.”
Two priests were kidnapped on Sunday in the Gulf coast state of Veracruz, and their bullet-ridden bodies were found on a roadside the next day.
“Our community suffers the death or anguish of any of the faithful,” the cardinal said. He said the missing priest “is a good man, a man who does good, a peaceful man, and so this barbarity is in no way justified.”
The two attacks on priests have raised concerns, although prosecutors in Veracruz state said the two priests kidnapped on Sunday knew their attackers and had been drinking with them. Robbery was also a suspected motive in that attack.
The Catholic Media Centre says 28 priests have been killed in Mexico since 2006, not counting this week’s murders.
The US State Department wrote in its 2015 International Religious Freedom report that priests in Mexico are “victims of extortion attempts, death threats, and intimidation by organised criminal groups.”
Having been unable to sell in churches for well over a year due to the pandemic, we are now inviting readers to support the Herald by investing in our future. We have been a bold and influential voice in the church since 1888, standing up for traditional Catholic culture and values.
Please join us on our 130 year mission by supporting us. We are raising £250,000 to safeguard the Herald as a world-leading voice in Catholic journalism and teaching. For more information from our chairman on contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund, click here
Make a Donation
Donors giving £500 or more will automatically become sponsor patrons of the Herald. This includes two complimentary print/digital gift subscriptions, invitations to Patron events, pilgrimages and dinners, and 6 gift subscriptions sent to priests, seminaries, Catholic schools, religious care homes and prison and university chaplaincies. Click here for more information on becoming a Patron Sponsor. Click here for more information about contributing to the Herald Patron's Fund